Make sure you read the update for 2021.
Is snail farming a good choice for a successful business?
The global market for edible snails is 300,000 tons. Valued at €1 billion and it is growing at 4.5% per annum. It is easy to see that the price levels make it something to consider if you have an entrepreneur mindset.
According to the report “World: Snails (Except Sea Snails) – Market Report. Analysis and Forecast to 2025” published by IndexBox, the countries with the highest consumption were Spain (16.500 tonnes), Morocco (6.000 tonnes), France (5.300 tonnes) and Italy (2.100 tonnes).
Sign up to our newsletter to get a coupon for 20% off our Snail Farming eBook
What Makes Snail Farming Profitable?
- The profit margin on snail farming is high.
- In the US snails can go for $50 a pound or two dollars a snail.
- Snails are easily exportable live, with a shelf life ranging from 2 to 6 months.
- Snail meat is a recognized health food, high in protein and low in fat.
- Snails are not susceptible to any serious diseases.
- It is easy to apply correct farming techniques.
- Initial investment is relatively low (CAPEX).
- Operating investment is relatively log (OPEX).
Other countries have established a successful snail farming industry in the recent past. Ten years ago, there were 3 snail farms in Poland. Today there are over 200, providing over 1,000 jobs and generating high income for small farms.
Related Reading: Would you leave a career in banking to start snail farming? She did!
Is snail farming profitable in 2020? Definitely, the demand is growing and the world is looking for different ways to grow nutritious and high protein food on a smaller space. Snails are a perfect example of how low-impact farming can bring great benefits.
If you would like to start a snail farming business, check out our Guide to Snail Farming.
Read more interesting articles:
- What You Need to Know About Starting Snail Farming in 2021
- Snail Farming on the Rise in the USA in 2020
- How to Become a Snail Farmer in 2020
- Is Snail Farming profitable in 2020?
- How to Sell Snails
- How to Set Up a Snail Farm Website
- How to produce snail caviar
- International Festival of Snail Breeding
- Cherasco Worldwide Institute of Snail Breeding
- Snail Farming – Heliciculture
Kevin is one of the co-founders of Escargot World. Kevin took an interested with small animals and pets ever since he was a little kid growing up in Boston MA. Although his life took him on a technology path with an engineering degree, Kevin always found ways to pursue his passion and love for snails. So, Escargot World was born.